Thursday, May 31, 2012

"Hive Five" Honey Amber Ale

My label (made with Labeley)
I decided that I wanted to try my hand at an amber ale, and I found this recipe for a honey amber. There is a local bee apiary that sells carrot honey, which is very floral and mellow. I thought it might be good in an amber, so I decided to go for it. This is our *last* extract beer; we will be going all-grain, starting with a clone recipe of AVB's Summer Solstice Cream Ale. This beer turned out VERY well. To be honest, I wasn't very pleased with it at first, as the floral honey flavor threw me off a bit. However, after a few drinks, I began to really enjoy it. This beer somewhat resembles a mead, however it has a nicely sized grain bill and malt flavor that really compliments the honey's sweetness. This beer is definitely one to try if you enjoy amber ales. Anyways, here is the recipe and  for this beer:

Hive Five Honey Amber
Style: American Amber Ale      
Type: Partial Mash
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.016  
ABV: 6.16 %  
IBU's: 28.86    
Batch Size: 5.00 Gal  
Boil Time: 60 minutes   

Fermentation Steps
Primary: 7 days @ 68.0°F
Secondary: 28 days @ 68.0°F
Bottle/Keg: 31 days @ 68.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
6.50 lbs Amber Liquid Extract
1.00 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L
2.00 lbs Honey

Hops
1.50 oz Hallertauer - 60 mins 
0.50 oz Hallertauer - 15 mins

Yeasts
Wyeast Labs 1056 - American Ale   

Carbonation
5/8 cup honey

Notes
Steep grains at 160 F for 30 minutes. 
Boil half of extract for 60 minutes, add the other half with 15 minutes left on the boil.
Add the honey with 15 minutes left on the boil.
*Age this beer for at least one month, after carbonation, before drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to post a comment, please keep it pertinent to the topic and suitable for all ages. Thanks!