Tuesday, May 15, 2012

"Old Vasily" Russian Imperial Stout

I decided to make my first stout a clone of North Coast Brew Co.'s "Old Rasputin," with a few slight adjustments to the recipe and a big adjustment to the name! I decided to name it after my friend Vasily, aka Brian Scotland, and it produced all of the high-gravity, hoppy, and coffee characteristics that I was hoping for! I didn't add quite enough priming sugar, so I've upped the amount in the recipe below. This is a beer that really benefits from aging, as well. Here's the label and the recipe:


Old Vasily Imperial Stout
Style: Imperial Stout
Type: Partial Mash
OG: 1.090
FG: 1.021
ABV: 9.04 %
IBU's: 80.08
Batch Size: 5.00 Gal

Primary: 14 days @ 68.0°F
Secondary: 14 days @ 68.0°F

Bottle/Keg
38 days @ 75.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
11.00 lbs Pale Liquid Extract
1.00 lbs Crisp Crystal Extra Dark 120L
1.00 lbs Carastan Malt - 30L
0.50 lbs Chocolate Malt
0.50 lbs Brown Malt
4.00 ozs Black Barley (Stout)

Hops
3.00 ozs Centennial - 60 mins
1.00 ozs Centennial - 5 mins
1.00 ozs Northern Brewer - 5 mins

Yeasts
White Labs 0001 - California Ale

Carbonation

4.62 oz Corn Sugar

Notes

Steep specialty grains in 160-165 degree (F) water for 30 minutes. Rinse with 170 degree (F) water.









5 comments:

  1. How's the carbonation this time around? I am making a RIS very soon and I'm trying to figure the best way to bottle carb. If the yeast is wiped out from all that activity, would more sugar make a difference or should I add some dry yeast at bottling to help with the carbonation? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hestor,

      Honestly, the carbonation is quite excellent this time around. I would recommend using about 4.5 oz of corn sugar for bottle carbing, although the above recipe says to use 4.62. In my experience, you should only add more yest at bottling if your beer has been sitting for a VERY long time in secondary (like over 2 months). For the above recipe, having it in secondary for only two weeks worked out very well. Also, there was more than enough yeast still left suspended in the wort to bottle carb the beer. I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for replying. What kind of carbonation would you get with 4.5 oz of corn sugar? Low, medium or high?

      Delete
    3. Hello Hestor,

      You would get a medium-highish carbonation level with 4.5 oz of corn sugar. Honestly, it's a bit high for a traditional stout, but I like that level of carbonation. If you wanted lower, you could go with 4 oz of corn sugar. I hope this helps!

      Delete
    4. Hello Hestor,

      You would get a medium-highish carbonation level with 4.5 oz of corn sugar. Honestly, it's a bit high for a traditional stout, but I like that level of carbonation. If you wanted lower, you could go with 4 oz of corn sugar. I hope this helps!

      Delete

If you would like to post a comment, please keep it pertinent to the topic and suitable for all ages. Thanks!